I had so many problems with these pillows, if I wasn't
- I found what I'll call his & her crowns at The Graphics Fairy and saved them as .jpg files.
- Next, I made each individual image into a "collage" (in Picasa) so I could manipulate the spacing of the image and text on the screen using 8 1/2x11 crop size.
- Under the crowns, typed Mr. and Mrs. in "masculine/feminine" fonts and enlarged to approximate size of crown.
- Reversed image for printer. On the Picasa Help Forum, I found this info: For a vertical flip, press Ctrl-Shift-V. For horizontal flip, press Ctrl-Shift-H. You must do this from the Library screen, NOT the edit screen.
- Feed paper per instructions. Done.
My goal was to make two 12- x 16-inch (approx.) lumbar pillows. I used the graphics paper-sized in the vertical position and added two end pieces to equal 17 inches. (I realized at this point that I could have cut out the entire size since I was ironing on anyway. It really didn't make any difference in the long run, as I was going to embellish them with trim.)
Make sure seams are pressed open (carefully, if you've transferred the images). I ended up using drop cloth fabric because I didn't want to take any more chances with the linen I had left.
From here on out it was smooth sailing. I added approx. 1-inch trim to the "Mr." over the seams.
Over the top of the Mrs. seams, I used a ruffle. I have done detailed instructions on the ruffles in a prior post. From there, I just sewed the back on, stuffed, and hand-stitched the bottom closed.
I hope you'll agree, they're as cute as can be! If/when I do these again, I'd space the crown and text closer so it's all more centered on the front of the pillow. I may use the flat trim on both, too, as I like the clean lines. I'm also going to try the printer technique again sometime using muslin.
I hope I've inspired, and not discouraged, you!